I have been having such a hard time teaching Fast Eddy how to correctly hold the pencil. He stills holds it with his entire hand around it. I feel like he would write so much better if he just knew how to properly hold it. I came across an article a couple years ago in Parenting with some activities to help with this issue, here are a few plus some others I came across.
- Have your little one peel an nectarine, this will help him with dexterity.
- Let your little one color with those broken crayons. He will naturally have to hold the crayon properly in order to color.
- Have your child do a water transfer activity with a medicine dropper. This will help with finger strength and coordination.
- Practice cutting skills- this hand movement will help with handwriting.
- Rip, rip, and rip some more. The pincher grasp needed to rip is the same as when handwriting.
- Use tweezers for transferring.
- Give your child some rubber bands to place around a water bottle.
I also came across a great post at Rocks in My Dryer , about holding a pencil with a kleenex. I might have to try her activity, I think it just might do the trick.