You know we vegetarians love our legumes! I am always trying to make up recipes that my kids will love and not scream “NOT ANOTHER BEAN MOM”!! I usually go for yellow split peas ~check out our Yellow Split Pea Dahl recipe~ but these green split peas were only $1.00 a bag!! I couldn’t pass it up! This whole meal cost us less than $3.00! Can’t beat that for a family of 6~ and it is 100% vegan. So, here is my super easy Split Pea Soup Recipe!
Split Pea Soup Recipe
- 1 bag dry split peas
- 6 cups of water
- 2 Better than Chicken Bouillons (If you're not Vegan, just use regular bouillons but the 'Better than Chicken' bouillon has the best taste)
- 4 raw carrots-sliced
- 1 onion
- 1/2 bag frozen corn
- 2-3 stalks of celery
- 2 TBS minced garlic
- 1 TBS olive oil
- Seasonings as you like- salt, pepper, garlic salt, parsley
- Rinse your beans thoroughly
- Slice up veggies
- Saute veggies (minus corn) in olive oil until golden (if you're short on time, this is optional)
- In a big stock pot, add your water, peas, seasonings, bouillons, and garlic
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook on medium for 30 minutes or until peas are soft and start to fall apart.
- In the last 10 minutes of cooking, add the veggies including corn
- *You may need to add some additional water if you like yours "soupier".