We ♥ quinoa around here! If you didn’t know, it’s pronounced Keen-wah. It is such a versatile meal starter and a nutritional powerhouse! It is a COMPLETE protein (So no more “Where do you Vegans get your protein?” ). We are talking 8 grams of protein in 1 cup, along with magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, and potassium. It is non-GMO and Gluten free for all those healthy people out there 🙂
There are 3 different colors of quinoa out there……black, yellow, and red. We love yellow and black quinoa mixed with veggies, and save our red quinoa for breakfast! It has such an earthy flavor and the perfect substitute for oatmeal * We love oatmeal too- but we change it up with quinoa*.
Before we get into the recipe…..let me tell you how to cook this stuff! It’s just like RICE!!! 2 cups water for 1 cup quinoa! Bring water and quinoa to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover with lid and simmer for 20 minutes. Just like that!
This breakfast must-make, is easy peasy so onto the recipe!!
- Red quinoa
- Natural sweetener (raisins, Medjool dates, or apple pieces)
- Fresh Berries *raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries) Pick some or all.
- Raw nuts- we like walnuts best.
- Maple Syrup *The real kind*
- Cook quinoa as directed above BUT add in your sweetener 2-3 dates, 1/2 raisins or 1/2 cup apple pieces.
- When completed, top with fresh fruits, nuts and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Eat and enjoy!